Mold and Protecting Your Health
Mold and Your Health. Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects. Mold may cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation.
Signs and symptoms of allergic rhinitis caused by mold allergy can include:
- Runny or stuffy nose.
- Cough and postnasal drip.
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat.
- Watery eyes.
- Dry, scaly skin.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services:
SERVPRO of Catonsville specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 410-242-7370
Commercial Property & Water Damage
Thousands of commercial buildings experience water damage every day. In some cases, the damage is from storms or flash floods. In others, it is simply from a leak. Often the damage is from a fire being extinguished -- in fact, counter-intuitively, most fires result in more water damage than fire damage. Water is the most common type of damage that commercial buildings experience. When it is not dealt with promptly and effectively, the problem can rapidly grow from a minor issue to something costing thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. SERVPRO of Catonsville can help.
Here are a few suggestions for how to best protect your business from water damage and minimize the fall-out when something does happen:
Prepare an Emergency Plan: Given how integral water is to all life and most industries, it is almost guaranteed that a commercial building will have to deal with water damage at some point. Thus, one of the best things a business owner can do is prepare for that inevitability ahead of time to keep losses to a minimum. Because water damage in Catonsville can grow exponentially if not addressed immediately, time is of the essence. Be prepared by having a company like SERVPRO of Catonsville on your speed dial.
Your emergency plan should include: A blueprint is showing where the shut-off points are for water, electricity and gas plus a set of instructions on how to shut them down fast.
A conveniently located toolbox. A list of emergency phone numbers, such as the fire department, plumbers, SERVPRO of Catonsville, emergency personnel, and police.
After you have an emergency plan in place for your commercial building, you should focus on prevention. Inspecting vulnerable areas is a good practice.
Inspect Your Roof Regularly: Check all rooftop penetrations, both interior and exterior.
Look for water stains. Check all flashing, drains and seals.
Inspect Your Walls Regularly: Check wall joints around doors and windows. Check flashing and sealant integrity.
Inspect Your Windows Regularly: Check for air seal integrity. Test all locks and other mechanical parts. Check flashing and joints. Look for water stains or mold growth on window sills and interior walls.
Emergency plans and inspections are both measures to lessen any disruption to your commercial building.
SERVPRO of Catonsville is locally owned and operated — so we live and work here and are proud to be part of the Catonsville community. We're Faster to Any Disaster.
We are just a phone call away to help. Call us 24/7 at (410) 242-7370
Protect your Business
No one ever plans for a disaster, but you can always prepare for it. Did you know 50% of businesses never reopen following a disaster? Preparation is key to making it through any size disaster whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. Having a plan in place can help minimize the amount of time your Catonsville business is inactive and get you back in the building following a disaster.
Advantages of the SERVPRO emergency Ready Profile are:
- A no cost assessment of your facility
- a concise profile document containing only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency
- a guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster
- establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
- identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin
- provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information
This App is of no cost to you. It is a complimentary service that SERVPRO of Catonsville will provide to you. We hope that you use our services in the event of a disaster.
Preparing Your Property for Summer Storms
The first day of summer is June 21st. While there is a lot to look forward to during summertime, we must also prepare ourselves and our properties for summer storms. Is your property prepared for summer storms? Let’s first dive into some of the effects summer storms can have on our homes and businesses.
Heavy rains, strong winds, thunder, lightning and even hail are produced by violent, summer weather which can turn into summer storms. Hurricanes, tornadoes, and thunderstorms can all be considered summer storms.
Heavy rains can cause severe flooding, excess moisture that can eventually turn into mold, and create leaks. Strong winds are known to break tree branches or can even result in the entire tree collapsing, which unfortunately can break windows, damage exteriors, etc. When this happens, debris can enter in your home. Lightning can start fires and damage electrical components while hail can damage roofing, siding, windows and more (as can lightning).
Here are some ways you can better protect your home or business:
- Review your insurance policy and consider adding flood insurance
- Seal doors and windows – this will help prevent water and wind from entering in your home
- Clean clogged gutters
- Have your roof inspected to ensure it is in good condition to withstand bad weather
- Remove dead branches from trees surrounding your property. If the entire tree is dead, it is worth having it removed – although it can be costly, it will prevent future damage and danger
- Consider installing storm windows and door(s)
Don’t forget - Protect yourself and your pets! Always keep an emergency kit on hand, take storm warnings seriously, keep pets indoors during bad weather, and shelter in place (cellar or basement preferably) during storms! We wish you a safe and enjoyable summer!
In the case of any unforeseen event, we are your local water and fire loss restoration company. We offer a variety of cleaning services, from gutter to carpet cleanings, as well. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions you may have at (410) 242-7370.
Summer is Coming!
Summer is getting closer and you're almost ready to turn on the air conditioning in your home or business. You may have even replaced your air filters. But have you considered what might be inside your ducts?
The ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality and can circulate odors, contamination such as mold, and irritating dust and allergens throughout your building or home. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention and it may be time for a professional inspection.
Our SERVPRO of Catonsville technicians have been trained to inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any possible indoor air quality concerns. Keeping your HVAC system and ductwork clean can potentially extend the lifespan of the equipment by allowing it to operate in peak condition which may save you money.
Most Common Biohazards
Did you know SERVPRO of Catonsville offers biohazard cleaning? Biohazard cleaning refers to the removal of any biological material that poses a health threat. Oftentimes we receive emergency calls requesting our crew to come out immediately to cleanup the aftermath of an unfortunate event or accident. Below are the most common types of biohazards:
• Blood - including items stained or saturated with blood, as well as human or animal tissue with blood. Typical scenes where this biohazard would be present include car crashes, crime scenes and hospitals.
• Sharps - such as needles and glass. Commonly present at car crashes, hospitals, doctors’ offices and abandoned homes or buildings.
• Bodily fluids - for example, saliva and secretions. Typical scenes where this biohazard would be present include crime scenes and hospitals
• Animal waste - stemming from carcasses or body parts, secretions or living spaces with an animal infected with a pathogen. Animal waste would most commonly be present at places such as homes that have issues with neglecting and/or hoarding, pet hospitals, boarding facilities or animal shelters
• Microbial waste - such as specimen cultures and instruments used to mix or transfer cultures. Microbial waste would be found in a laboratory.
• Pathological waste - including tissues, organs and bodily fluids removed from a human or animal during a procedure, such as a surgery. Pathological waste can be found in a dental office, cosmetic, veterinary or general surgery center, or hospital to name a few places.
If you’re experiencing a biohazard catastrophe in your home or business, we are here to help you 24/7. Give our office a call today at (410) 242-7370.
Top Three Causes of Fires!
Did you know that the top three causes of residential fires include cooking, heating and electric systems/equipment. Now that we have established the top three reasons as to how these calamities begin, let’s discuss each cause in more depth so you are able to determine how each can be avoided.
- Cooking: Causing nearly half of home fires, cooking-related fires are also, unfortunately, the second leading cause for residential fire deaths. These fires peak during the holidays, first Thanksgiving, followed by Christmas. Unattended cooking plays a large role in how fires begin. Other factors include grease and oil. Heating oil too quickly can cause fires. Leaving grease on the stovetop can also create fires. Leaving common kitchen items such as over mitts and food wrappers on or near the stove can also start fires.
- Heating: Spiking during the cold winter months of December, January and February, heating fires typically stem from space heaters, fireplaces and wood stoves. While it may be tempting to keep your portable heater right near you on the chilliest of days, fires can easily be created if furnishing or personal belongings, such as mattresses and blankets, are within 3 feet of the space heater. Fires also start when heating sources such as space heaters or fireplaces are left unattended.
- Electric: Wiring, cords (including extension cords), lighting, and plugs all fall under the umbrella of electric distribution. Malfunction and damage, such as fraying, are a couple reasons as to why fires begin from electric distribution. Faulty electrical outlets cause fires, as do worn out sockets. Using an unqualified electrician to install or update wiring, lighting, etc. is another reason why fires may begin in your home. Additionally, the exposure of water to electricity can create fire.
Be sure to be mindful if you smoke, light candles, use a grill, or have children and/or pets, as these are a few other leading causes of residential fires. Taking caution and remaining vigilant can greatly help keep you, your family and home safe!
So Many Services!
When you consider the many services we at SERVPRO of Reisterstown and Catonsville have to offer, what first comes to mind? Most people know SERVPRO for being the company to call when needing fire or water damage restoration, or for mold mitigation and remediation. You may be pleasantly surprised to learn about our expertise and services we offer in other areas too.
Cleanings: Here at SERVPRO of Reisterstown and Catonsville, we offer general cleaning, biohazard cleaning, vandalism and crime scene cleaning, and Covid sanitizing! Businesses are always happy to hear about these services, so are homeowners! Property managers love our move out/turnover services!
Plus, we can clean:
Did you know we have our own reconstruction and rebuild department? We can have your home, office or business restored from start to finish!
We also offer services in content restoration, removal and/or storage.
The list of services we offer goes! From pressure washing, to emergency board ups, to deodorization, to document drying, we are always here to help you! Give our office a call at 410-242-7370 to inquire about one or more of our MANY services!
Is Your Business Ready for a Winter Storm?
For most people, winter storms are an inconvenience. But for business owners, they can be a catastrophe waiting to happen. Is your business prepared?
The cold weather can have a huge impact on your business if you’re not ready for it. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, sub-zero temperatures, and damaging winds can all wreak havoc causing serious and costly property damage. While you cannot control the weather, you can take steps to prepare your Catonsville business.
To help prevent costly winter storm damages, consider taking the following precautions to protect your property before winter weather hits:
- Check your Catonsville business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to your property and potentially lead to personal injuries.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potentially slippery or hazardous areas.
- Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water or ice could be present.
- Take steps to prevent frozen pipes and avoid costly water damage to your property.
Even with proper precaution, the unexpected can happen. SERVPRO of Catonsville has the equipment, expertise, and experience to help with the cleanup and restoration of winter weather damage.
An Oven Malfunction
When you think of fire damage, you probably think about damage due to flames and smoke, however, soot damage can also present a serious challenge.
Recently, our team was called to a home where an oven malfunction dispensed soot throughout the kitchen as well as several other rooms of the home.
To fix the damage and restore the home to its previous condition, our highly trained crews cleaned all the flooring and upholstery throughout and set up air scrubbers with charcoal filters to help with the odor removal.
The homeowners were incredibly impressed with our team and our work and left us with high praise.
About SERVPRO of Catonsville
SERVPRO of Catonsville specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. SERVPRO of Catonsville is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here, too and we are proud to be part of the Catonsville community.