Facts About Flooding & Water Damage
Here are some interesting flood facts that might surprise you:
- Floods ranked #1 in the United States for natural disasters.
- Two feet of rushing water can easily carry a car away.
- Flash floods are known to bring walls of water 10 to 15 feet high.
- There is a risk of 1 in 4 chances of a flood damaging your home with a 30 year period in a high-risk area.
- Homes in high-risk flood areas are more likely to suffer from water damage than fire damage.
- Most basic homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
- Areas experiencing new land development are at an increased risk of flooding, especially if the construction changes the natural runoff paths.
- For the last decade, total flood insurance claims averages more than $3.4 billion per year.
Now that you know some interesting facts about floods, how can you prevent floods from damaging your home? Below are a couple of tips on ways you can prevent water damage from floods.
Check for dark spots and other signs of water damage under your pipes and inside cabinets. Check for water stains on ceilings and for toilets that aren’t secure. Take a moment to inspect your roof for missing or loose shingles. Repair any cracked caulking and check your windows and door frames for any damage or gaps.
If you find a leak and you put off fixing it, it could lead to an even bigger water damage disaster or even mold growth. Don’t delay addressing water damage – you may not be able to see the extent of the damage until it is too late.
If your property does suffer water damage, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Catonsville to handle cleanup and restoration. We provide emergency response 24/7 and will respond quickly in your time of need. Contact us 410-242-7370