Water Damage in Your Home - What To Do Until Help Arrives
Water damage in your home is almost always an unexpected and stressful situation. In the moment, you’ll likely feel panic and devastation, wondering what steps to take and who to call for help.
Our team at SERVPRO of Catonsville is here for you. We’ve put together this list of Emergency Tips that you can use to take control of a water damage situation while you wait for help to arrive.
- Shut off the water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much of the excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop-up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe dry place any paintings, art objects, computer, documents, and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazard may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors to cause staining.
- Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall to wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retaining water.
Every water damage situation is a little different and each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. At SERVPRO of Catonsville, we have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your water damaged areas. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have questions about Water Damage? We’re here to help. Call us at 410-242-7370.
About SERVPRO of Catonsville
SERVPRO of Catonsville specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge and skills to restore your property.